Profiles of some of our current PhD students and recent graduates on the job market can be found below:
- Ali Ahsan studies comparative politics and public policy with a keen interest in geopolitics and governance, particularly in international football (soccer). He has taught at the Bahauddin Zakariya University in his home city of Multan (Pakistan) and also worked as a researcher in the government sector for a number of years before joining WVU's PhD Political Science program in 2017. Ali is also a director at FootballPakistan.Com (FPDC), an independent online platform covering the sport in Pakistan.
- Vaida Lilionyte-Manthos is a doctoral candidate with interests in environment, energy, and social policies in the US and abroad. In her dissertation she focuses on policy approaches to unconventional shale gas extraction in the EU and new EU member states. Vaida lives in Charles Town, WV where she and her husband operate an environmental research and communications consultancy.
Fadi earned his first Master’s degree in public policy from the University of Benghazi
(Garyounis) in 2004 and his second Master’s degree from the Department of Political
Science at West Virginia University in 2012. His doctoral dissertation is about
the Rulemaking process and its outputs regarding the oil policy network, applying
the Social Network Analysis and the Exponential Random Graph Models. He is
currently interested in areas of American politics and policy, law and judicial
politics, public policy, political economy, and oil policy. Fadi's LinkedIn
page can be found at:
- Kyle’s major areas of study are international relations and comparative politics with a focus on African and Latin American politics. His current research focuses on protest behavior and other forms of contentious politics in Africa.
- Ibtihal holds a Bachelors degree in Law and Political Science from MVU / Rabat-Morocco, an MA in International Relations from the Benghazi University/ Libya, and an MA from WVU, where she is currently a PhD student. Her two main fields are Public Policy and Comparative Politics. She is generally interested in the Arab Region and Middle East studies. Her more specific interests focus on Law and Politics, Contentious Politics and Social Movements, Human Rights and Transitional Justice. Other interests include Environmental Policy.
Kyu Chul Shin
- Kyu Chul, who also goes by Casey, is currently writing a dissertation that attempts to link far right electoral success to ingroup-outgroup preferences. More broadly, he is interested in anything under the umbrella of contentious politics and political behavior. He hopes to be a professor and one day teach courses on public opinion, ethnic conflict, and terrorism. He is also a Mets and Jets fan who is always happy to link sports to politics if it helps his students learn the material. Kyu's LinkedIn page can be found at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kyu-chul-casey-shin-56181696
- Joshua Squires is a doctoral candidate from Ridgeley, West Virginia. He holds a bachelor’s degree in political science from Davis & Elkins College (May 2015) and a master’s degree in political science from West Virginia University (May 2017). His research interests fall under the umbrella of American politics. He is specifically interested in race, voting behavior, and election administration. His dissertation deals with the election administration of polling places and its effects on non-White citizens. Joshua’s LinkedIn address is https://linkedin.com/in/joshua-squires-67b7aa205.